The Ontario Arts Council today announced across the board cuts for operating clients.
The OAC’s budget will be reduced to $60 million in 2019.2020 necessitating cost reductions and cost saving measures including:
- Existing operating clients’ funding baselines will be reduced by 8%
- Five project grant programs will not accept applications this year
- National and International Residency Projects
- Ontario Dances
- Publishing Organizations Projects
- Theatre Training Projects
- Travel Assistance: Ontario Contact/Contact Ontarois
- Freezing executive compensation
- Cuts to administration costs
The OAC says that it has looked closely at all its activities in order to make these cuts and that its decisions are transparent, fair to all applicants, and will protect the long-term sustainability of Ontario’s vital arts infrastructure.
However, the loss of project funding will no doubt negatively impact the creation of new works and work by emerging artists. Especially unfortunate are the cancellation of residency and theatre training funds which directly impact career and artistic development for individual artists.